4. The Guy Who Talks at the Library

I love New Year’s resolutions.

They’re great, because they make it socially acceptable to ask people who you don’t know very well about their personal lives. Topics that are normally taboo - fitness goals, lifestyle goals, vegetable goals - become fair game in the world of question-asking.

It also opens up a whole new world of conversation topics at work, like how the Instant Pot should be in the running for all-time greatest invention, or how Goodreads will soon eclipse LinkedIn as the premier social media platform for young professionals. Both of these hot takes were my own, but I think at least one of my co-workers is on board.

There are a lot of people who don’t buy into the hype of making New Year’s resolutions. I was waiting in line at the library the other day, and I turned to the girl in front of me wearing a Berkeley sweatshirt and asked her if she had any resolutions for the year. Great small talker, I know. After she realized that I, a random stranger, was actually asking her this question, she gave me an insightful and thoughtful answer.

“I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions”.

And then she turned back around. I guess that’s what I get for trying to connect with someone in a place where talking is typically prohibited. And what did she mean that she doesn't "believe" in resolutions? It's not like I asked about her relationship with Santa.

That being said, I don’t think this girl is alone in her thinking - resolutions can be a strange concept. We (I) binge homemade fudge and snowballs all December, watch an entire Netflix series in 3 days, and then all of a sudden decide to get our (my) life together when the clock strikes midnight on the 31st. Speaking hypothetically, of course.

This year, I wanted to set goals that were a little more ambitious than some of my past resolutions. So I went back into some of my old Google Doc journals (such a millennial, I know), and found that I have had some issues in the past distinguishing between “healthy, life-giving habits” and actual “resolutions”. Here are some examples from 2018:

1. “Wear your retainer more”
2. “Figure out how to like kale”
3. “Do more pushups”
4. “Drink more tea”
5. “Don’t be so competitive in games”
(I made this one coming off a particular Secret Hitler game that almost ended my friendship with Millay)

It’s true, these are all great practices that I should be incorporating in my life. But I want to go a little further than that in my goals for 2019. Instead of forming my resolutions around “habits”, I decided to mold my resolutions this year around lifelong goals or bucket list items.

What follows are my 2019 resolutions. I structured them like a to-do list, because as the 20 yellow post-its on my desk and walls illustrate, that's the only way I get things done. If you’ve made it this far in the post, you must really care about me, so I’m relying on you for motivation and accountability to make it through. 2018 set a high bar for life moments - 2 Cohen engagements, passing all my CPA exams, graduating from college, a cross-country move, and many more. But based on the upward trend of years up to this point, I've got a good feeling about 2019.

To-Do by 12/31/2019
  • Compose and perform an original song
  • Run a Spartan Race
  • Start a website for the company that Justin and I will eventually create
  • Become a licensed CPA
  • Touch your toes without making an uncomfortable grunting sound
  • Take dance lessons to prepare for the 4 weddings (and counting) in 2019
  • Read 30 Books
  • Write in a daily gratitude and prayer journal

Warmly,
Danny

Comments

  1. I love resolution time - new beginnings, starting fresh, feeling renewed during the winter doldrums! However, at my age they seem much less structured and ever changing. Once again, LOVE your writing!! (Let me know if you figured out how to like kale - that one eludes me!) 😉

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5. Can You Help Me With My Taxes?

Introduction // Nothing Normal